Wednesday 20 June 2012

The Airfield

Somewhere in the woodlands far in the north I logged in and was happy to see the daylight, I'm used to slinking around at night.


I tried to meet with some of Team Muk, the guys I play with regularly from rllmuk forum. They'd just had a disaster, raiding the northern airfield but running into other survivors. In the ensuing combat most of my buddies had died, losing their good equipment. A few made it out with their jeep but one guy brilliantly bailed out of the door accidentally whilst it was moving, eating hard tarmac. The other had a run-in with zombies whilst looking for supplies. The only remaining member of Team Muk managed a solo mission to retrieve the jeep and drove to pick me up. But with no map or compass, and no landmarks to aid navigation, I couldn't find the correct road until he had to log out. I was on my own. I decided to head for the northern airfield for a better gun and the chance of some good gear.

The last time I had been to the airfield was when we had the helicopter, I had backup then. We had encountered other players. The airfield's notorious for being a death trap; it's one of the only places in the north that has high grade military gear to loot. It attracts groups of players who usually shoot on sight. But that's what adventure's all about, right? I set off, soon finding a cow which I blasted for some juicy steaks. Pity I didn't have any wood to cook them.

Trekking across fields and through woods, I came across a barn. A few zeds shambled around but it seemed clear of players.


I got closer and attracted the attention of the zombies. They can see much further now. I soon put a stop to that with some shotgun shells to the face.


The barn was a let-down, only containing a few more shotgun shells. I continued towards the airfield and discovered the town of Kabanino, which was swarming with zombies.


Skirting around the town, I got careless. I heard a yelp and turned around to see a zombie bearing down on me. This wasn't good, I was wide in the open. As soon as I fired, I drew in more. I was quickly floored as my legs were hurt and my vision was going fast.


Despite the situation I managed to kill the last zombies from the ground. I waited a minute to see if the gunfire had attracted any survivors, but all was clear. Phew. Luckily I had morphine which let me walk again, and a few bandages stopped the bleeding. I pressed onwards, taking a much wider berth around the town. These new zombies are no pushovers!

I rejoined the northern road past Kabanino and used the trees to cover my movements. This close to the airfield I was quite likely to run into other survivors. I soon reached the perimeter - watchtowers stood along the wall at regular intervals. I found a gap and sneaked through.



I couldn't see any buildings or even tarmac, so I moved inside the perimeter using some woodlands for cover. Suddenly I heard movement and to my surprise a mutated zombie came from behind a tree, hopping towards me. I didn't even know there were buildings nearby. The monkey (we call them that due to the way they move) was in hot pursuit as I sprinted back through the woods. Before I shot him I wanted to be away from any more zombies.

After ending his little monkey life I headed back to find a gatehouse just through the woods. That's why there was a zombie nearby. The unfortunate guards lay sprawled on the road in the long shadows - the sun was going down.


A little further on I found the hangars, zombies were everywhere.


I was pretty thirsty so popped a can of Coke, then got on my belly and crawled to edge out onto the asphalt, using my binoculars to scope out the main buildings for survivors. All I found were zombies.







Time to make a move. I crawled into the first hangar and found an AK-47. Score. It only had one clip but I knew I'd probably find more in the airfield. Although I had lots of ammo for the shotgun I didn't want to have to come back for the AK later, the less time spent here the better. Get in, get out.


The next hangar had nothing good and I was tired of crawling everywhere. I got up and jogged further in. This was a big mistake. In this update there is a bug where you make a lot of noise when moving. I heard a growl through the walls of the hangar, and seconds later a zombie charged through the hanger door. I shot it, but now more were coming. I gunned some down but then heard the click-click-click of impending doom. Out of ammo.


My only hope was to run for the shotgun in the other hangar. I sprinted there with about 6 zombies on my heels. Although I managed to pick it up, they were on top of me, clawing. I didn't have time to unholster it before they ripped me apart and feasted on my bloody corpse. Game Over.



One moment of impatience had cost me my life. Until the next fix comes through, you have to be very wary of making noise!

I wasn't quite done yet. I spawned near Belota, a village on the coast with an airfield.



Skirting around the town I somehow alerted a zombie. Now you don't spawn with a weapon I had no choice but to run for the airfield in the hopes of grabbing a gun. A goat and cow nonchalently grazed as I charged towards them screaming.


No luck in the hangars and now a host of undead had joined the chase. It all seemed somewhat familiar. I charged around the airfield looking desperately for anything to help. The body bags didn't fill me with confidence...


I reached the control tower and saw the entrance was shored up with barbed wire. Vaulting over it, I had bought some breathing space, this would slow the zombs down.


But a quick search and my heart sank. There were no weapons inside! I went onto the roof. There was no sign of the zombies but I could hear them below. Had they started to give up? Just then, I saw one walking on the balcony below me. Crap... I was trapped up here for now.



I was out of solutions. I would have to wait till the zombies gave up or they found me. I didn't have to wait for long though. I heard a tink, tink, tink and the head of a zombie appeared at the top of the ladder. As he climbed up I could see more behind him. I was trapped.


 No weapons. No hope. I wasn't going to let these bastards eat me alive. I ran to the railing at the roof edge and vaulted over. The crunch of my bones as I hit the ground was the last thing I heard.



I tried once more but it was late, and I was tired. It only took a minute for me to attract a zombie in my impatience before it was all over. I just lay down, ripped off my shirt and invited him to tuck in. My heart wasn't in it any more. The next game update should be today which will fix the super-hearing zombies, and maybe then I'll have more patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment